Students in Mr. Bigelow's Audio Tech class engineering new instruments using Makey Makey boards!
In the ARTS this week:
- Art and Music Teachers have been busy this week as they dig into those elements and principles of art and music with their scholars. It is visible in lesson planning that you are building tasks for students that ask them to explore "Ideation."
- 2015/16 AP 2D Art students scored an average of 3.2- one of the HIGHEST averages of all AP courses offered at Durfee! Kudos to Alyssa Viveiros and Mr. Carvalho for her score of 5. Wow!
- Yellow School Bus Grant- I have applied for this $200.00 grant for Durfee, and have shared the link with art teachers at K-5 schools so they can apply for a grant for their students. If you are interested, click here: http://www.massculturalcouncil.org/applications/bigyellowappins.asp
- K-5 Music Teachers- Please let me know if you did not receive the Music K-8 package. I ordered it for those who requested it.
- K-5 Art and Music Teachers completed the new Report Card Comments for students last spring. If you would like to see the grade level expectations, you can find these here:
Collaboration and Growth:
- I have shared documents for the evaluation and growth process with the teachers who I evaluate directly. These can be found in your Gdrive in the "Shared with Me" folders. Your self assessments and goal drafts are due on October 7th. Here are thoughts I have around this process:
- I want to assure you that we will continue to work together to grow and learn from each other via the evaluation process.I am your primary evaluator. We will continue to work together in CPT and PD time to ensure that we are learning, talking, sharing best practices and strategies and always being reflective.The self assessments should be where we start the thinking and reflecting- when you are working on the self assessments, you may also be talking about teaming up with colleagues to create a goal that you could share with colleagues, based on your common needs, that would be great. If in reflecting, you feel you need an individual goal, that is great, too- it should be about what area both you and your students need growth in..I will share a series of docs on the Google Drive with you, and these will be for you to use when you are ready to submit your self assessment and goals. (the Google Drive will replace Baseline this year) As of this morning, you still have access to your Baseline info if you need to access it- do it sooner than later if you need to review or print anything from last year!In terms of what you would like to focus and reflect on while self assessing and goal setting, consider reviewing your last formative/summative evaluation, and looking at the commendations and recommendations... What are those things that you consider an area to focus on? As I looked through the feedback and needs from last year, I am noticing a trend for a potential focus on the following areas in professional development:
Let me know if you would like a copy of the Teacher Rubric at a Glance and I will provide you with a paper copy, or simply the link to it:
- II A. Instruction Indicator 1. Quality of Effort and Work 2. Student Engagement 3. Meeting Diverse Needs
- III C. Communication Indicator 1. Two-Way Communication 2. Culturally Proficient Communication
- I would like to quote one of our own art teachers here, because I am so inspired by reflective statements like these: Reflecting on my professional growth last year, I would like to continue to grow in the area of use of technology to engage and assess students in my classes, and while I have implemented new strategies in this area, my goal for this year will be to practice these with consistency. I would like to focus on the measurement of the goal through Google Classroom and Forms, as well as Plickers. In addition, I would like to learn new strategies for lesson planning using Google Drawings to make the Student Learning Goal visually engaging, student friendly, and include all components (question, task, goal..).
- Kudos also go out to Kate Ventimiglia, Teresa Moniz, Andrea DeLima, and Linda Cabral for an absolutely "Symphonic" CPT at Talbot this week.. We discussed and planned ways to work together in building tasks for kids that stem from rigorous questions and brainstormed examples of how to work together between art and theater.. Our collaborative group work fueled lessons that I am eager to see in action!
- Monday: CPT Kuss 7:30
- Tuesday: CPT Morton 7:50
- Wednesday: CPT Durfee 10:30
- Thursday: CPT Talbot 1:20, Monthly Department Meeting for K-8 Fine and Performing Arts Teachers- 3:45 at Spencer Borden (K-5) and Kuss (6-8)
- Friday: CPT Doran 8:00, CPT Band/Orch 12:30
- Planning Ahead: Release Time Days: 10/6, 12/1, 2/9, 3/2!
Arts Around Us:
- The Narrows: http://www.
- New Bedford Art Museum: Take a look at the Classes for Adults! Wow! http://newbedfordart.org/adult-classes/
- PPAC: Presents Wicked! Get there- closes 10/8! https://www.ppacri.org/
- Zeiterion: Check out the Creative Classroom opportunities at the Z! http://zeiterion.org/classes/
Have a wonderful and ARTSful weekend!