March 13th..A SNOWY Wrap Up


In Professional Development...

We came together to identify and celebrate Purpose.  Purpose of the arts, the "art" of teaching the arts, and ways to spark purpose and emotion in the arts that we model and teach.  Here is the Blendspace from the Thursday get together if you would like to access it for the videos:

Here is a list of the Notes to Self that we submitted when asked... What is the purpose of your art?  How does it contribute to knowledge?  I'm going to compile them into one long narrative, as if they were from one voice!
     My art is a space/place in time of INTERIOR QUESTIONING.  It's highly psychological and NARRATIVE.  It is a collective history of past, present and future vision.  It connects the viewer to either very real or fictional histories.  The art of teaching art helps students realize the endless possibilities of what they can do.  To build a sense of self-expression, self awareness and confidence while teaching music and instrumental concepts...  Stress relief, relaxes the brain, refreshes me to create new and original ideas.  To go inside myself- think, feel, experience the sensation of the materials and possibly create something that will inspire me to create MORE.  To feel purpose, pleasure, love, excitement.  My personal art is reflective of my feelings, emotions and interests at that time.  It allows me to dig deep and pull feelings out that become a visual representation of SELF.  To recall memories and feelings of people and places..  to offer feelings and hope others understand, or feel, be curious about mine.  I contribute to knowledge by sharing an experience and my interpretation of my experience.   
     Creating shape from shapelessness; re-purposing material for a new function, emphasizing the art in the PROCESS of building, shaping and forming.  To know the realness of quietude.  A means of self expression and/or the interpretation of the work of others, a means of audible enjoyment for others, a source of SUPPORT for ceremonies/activities for which the art is secondary.  To express myself and be creative, we grow and learn through creativity.  To express emotions, a new language everyone cane learn.. Simply to make me happy!
     My art reminds me I can make my own mark on this world.  The art of teaching is TEACHING THE ART OF LEARNING- focusing on and providing strategies for each student to discover and master concepts, aesthetic communication, creativity and how to relate all of that to SELF.  I learn to work through road/mind blocks, and can talk a student through road blocks/struggles with their work..  The purpose of my art is to express myself and portray how I feel in a visual sense, therefore allowing viewers insight on me as a person as well as being able to relate, opening peoples eyes to different perspectives.  My art expresses all the words I can't say.. adding beauty to the world through music and culture.  My art INVOLVES others in what I do and who I am, exploring, sharing, expressing SELF.  My art re-ignites me when I need it.. timeless.  The same joy you feel playing at 8 is alive when you play at 50+..a constant learning process.
    My art helps me deal with my BS- I help students use THEIR struggles, making art to deal with it!  Nonetheless, we create music with or without others, contributing to other subjects, making us human, taking knowledge to the next level.  This art contributes to cognitive development, the ability to problem solve, and also allows for enjoyment, and enhancement of self-worth and self-knowledge.  Self expression, joy and connection to others and a sense of self are present in my music class.  Music is the soul of a person; it inspires.  Students learn THROUGH music- songs help learn and express feelings.
     The purpose of my art is to express MYSELF in a way that allows me to work through stresses or problems in my life.  As a teacher, I give students SPACE to do this very same thing, allowing them to learn new information and concepts in a way that they can access and appreciate.

Thank you all for sharing.  In reading these, I felt like Marina Abramovick staring into the eyes of her visitors at the MoMA where she performed her piece, The Artist is Present.  Thank you, on behalf of our 10,000 kids for being PRESENT, thoughtful, expressive and ARTFUL.

This week, we "Marched" through...


  • A Massachusetts Cultural Council/FRCC Grant Funded Field Trip for 3rd graders in 6 schools to the Zeiterion to view the New Bedford Symphony Orchestra perform compositions that school children developed while thinking about how planets move through space..  The kids (and the grown ups) had a great time.
  • A release time day professional development meeting that asked us to dig deep into the reasons why we as artists, musicians and performers "do what we do."  We returned to Pink's aptitude of Meaning.  We also had a little fun, practicing arts tasks that remind us to "keep it fresh" as we plan tasks for our kids with meaning and purpose. 
  • ARTS EXPO Prep!  Teachers are busy matting work for the April 27th Arts Expo, to be held at Durfee in the Auditorium Wing from 5 to 7PM.  
  • MMEA All State Festival!  Our own Matt MacMullen chaperoned Adam Turcotte as he participates this weekend!  So proud of our Adam as he was chosen to be a part of this prestigious event!

On the Calendar:

DURFEE TEAM:
3/13 Progress Report Grades Due
3/14 Faculty Meeting
3/15 Distribute Progress Reports in Advisory
3/15 Department Meeting
3/20 Period 5 ELA MCAS Rally (10th grade)

MIDDLE SCHOOLS:
In CPT in the upcoming weeks, we need to create a document on the GDrive that lists the recommended students for Band, Orchestra, Chorus and Art Foundation (art 1 for serious art students). As guidance counselors will be using this document to schedule kids for next year, it is super important that we are having conversations with our students this week to confirm that they in fact want to take these classes Freshman year. Once we complete the lists, they will be shared with Guidance here at Durfee. Note that we are not doing the recommendations on X2 this year.

ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS:
Please let me know if you need any additional supplies for the ARTS EXPO prep! You should have 48" Kraft Paper, masking tape (for attaching art to kraft paper), and name tags! Hoping that your building based/departmental meeting times are allowing for some extra time to get this work done!

Stay safe in the storm!  Get the milk and the bread!!!  :)
Jackie

Comments