This week, we have been busy preparing for lots of performances, and preparing work for Scholastic Art submissions... The work is coming to an end for the calendar year, but you wouldn't know that walking through our classrooms. Here are some pictures from this week:
Durfee AP 2D Work..
Durfee Ceramics Work
Henry Lord 2nd Graders Preparing For Winter Concert!
The Revamping of the Art Studio Space at RPA
The Maker Bot 3D Printer in RPA's Arts Studio
In the News This Week...
- Hope to see you at the Durfee Musical! The event starts tonight and runs through Sunday.. Check out the flyer below for more info!
- Next week, we have the Durfee Winter Concert- I know I say this all the time, but THIS YEAR IS GOING TO BE AMAZING... What an evening we have in store for you! Here is the flyer for the concert- hope to see you all there!
Additional Nuts and Bolts:
- In terms of collaboration, reflect on the specific roles you assign when planning for group work... does each student have a particular task? Is their collaborative part essential for the successful outcome of the project or the work? Think about the accountability to the learning community, the knowledge and to rigorous thinking... Consider this Accountable Talk Framework when planning these collaborative tasks:
Students should be able to be accountable to the group (top tier), then to the knowledge, and finally to rigorous thinking as we plan these challenging collaborative tasks.
And a Little Shout Out..
To Mary Zema, who shared with me the most precious video (I am sharing a picture here) of her students at HLCS performing the notes projected on the board with the appropriate Boomwhacker. Yes, these students are reading music, and playing a percussion instrument! Kudos to you, Mary, for holding the bar high for all students, and planning musical lessons that engage and push our kids to do more than they ever thought they could... Mucho love heading your way from your team!
And to Jayson Newell, who shared with me the video of his students working with technology and the Compose Yourself tech/music game.. These kids were playing their compositions they created with such excitement! It's that kind of magic love for music we all love to see in our classrooms... Thanks Jayson, for teaching Doran Scholars to LOVE MUSIC.
- You have a release time day on the last day of school before break! See your school's dismissal time on the website!
- You have a full day PD day on Friday, February 2nd. I will be planning a 90 min PD for art and music from 10:30 to Noon. The memo with the agenda will be sent to all teachers and principals on Monday.
- Groups will be Art K-12, and Music K-8, 9-12 and Itinerant Music. Art will have a demo on the use of a few new media with the help of Carolyn Jane from Dick Blick, and Music will have specific grade leveled groupings with specific tasks... K-8- Lesson structures for engagement in the older grades (4-8), 9-12 and Itinerants- Sight reading, close reading in music and program work for All City.
Have a wonderful weekend, Arts Fam!