He focuses on teaching the leadership principles that he learned as the Commander of the SEAL Task Unit Bruiser, where he was stationed in Iraq fighting in the Battle of Ramadi. He is the co-owner of the leadership consulting company, Echelon Front where he, along with Extreme Ownership Co-Author Leif Babin, provide practical solutions to create high performance success in professional teams.
You may be thinking, why is my Fine and Performing Arts Director starting off the third week of school with Jocko? Because, his message applies directly to the work that we do EVERY DAY from here forward. Last week, in the blog, I mentioned HABITS...
HABITS + Consistency = DISCIPLINE
- The habits your students adopted should now be set- they will be looking to YOU to hold them to it, every day!
- The habits that we model as educators and mentors to our kids are crucial- how to persevere, stick to something even when it's hard, and learning new ways to "do you!"
In the Arts This Week...
- Our Band, Orchestra and Percussion Teachers thank YOU!!!! They have been busy demonstrating at schools so that interested students can sign up to be a part of the FRPS Performing Arts.. They thank you for being supportive as they get their students underway.. Please continue to collect permission slips and remind kids about the annual string rental night at Durfee- 9/24!
- As students in grades 4-12 become a part of these growing programs, they may have questions for their teacher about what days and times they have lessons... please assist students by being that connection to their teacher- Our team of Itinerants are:
- Mrs. Nicole (Laprise) Turgeon
- Ms. Jodie Laprise
- Ms. Caroline Herrero
- Mr. Tom Pritchard
- Mr. Jay Treloar
- Mrs. Donna Landers Murray
- Mr. Matt MacMullen
- Mr. Alex Ollivierre
- OPEN HOUSES! Yes, it's that time of year! Make sure you have your classrooms ready for Open House Night at your schools! Student work may even be up or around the room so parents can see what is happening in your class. Have expectations for learning posted and available for parents and families.
- The Durfee Marching Band received an OK at Monday night's School Committee meeting- we WILL BE GETTING NEW BEAUTIFUL MARCHING BAND UNIFORMS!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for your support, Dr. Malone and SC Team!!! We will make you proud!
- The YEAH Corps had a great night at the Narrows to fund raise for their after school art program for Durfee and Diman students to be paid artists working under mentors (at the Narrows Galleries).. They made $10,000 at the event!
Some Pics from the week...
Isaiah (Durfee Art Student) talking to artist James Reitzas at the Narrows Center for the Arts
Writing from Ms. Pereira's Art Student (Durfee)
Bob Ross, still leading the way at Viveiros Elementary!
Make Those WORD WALLS!
Lesson Planning- Right there for the kids (and of course the grown ups) to see!
Loving the planning and risks these kids are taking on in Sculpture!
And Mr. Pritchard, with a brand new Uke, heading to a FRPS school near YOU!
- This week, in PLC, we worked within teams to discuss the goals for the year. At some schools, there is an Improvement Plan, and we will support that with our goals through our planning work with the National Core Arts Standards, Workshop Model and Strategies. In other (non-improvement plan) schools, we will also be working with these, implementing tasks that are derived from the standards.
- Next week's PLC will be used to plan lessons for the week of 23rd to 27th, with specific grade level standards (for middle schools), and Durfee team will be looking at a couple of lessons to calibrate.
Coming In HOT..
- Durfee Home Game (Marching Band Performing)- 9/20
- District String Rental Night- 9/24
- Band Competition @Dartmouth- 9/28
- Open House- Durfee 9/19
- Open House- Morton- 9/16
- Release Time Day- 10/7
NUTS AND BOLTS REMINDERS:
- Lesson Plans are due on Monday morning
- Sub Plans need to be prepared and left on your desks (Durfee has a specific folder) in case you are absent
- Workshop Model aspects should be present (in your room and in your planning):
- Posted Agenda
- Warm Up (up to 5 min)
- Opening (10-15 min)
- Work Period (30-40 min)
- Closing (5-10 min)
Thank you, and have a great weekend!