Planning in the ARTS This Week...
- In CPT time at the middle schools, we have discussed a variety of topics, ranging from strategies for ELLs to planning for the ARTS EXPO. Many art teams are going to be using this time in the next couple of weeks to continue to prep art work for the Expo, and in some schools, music teachers have offered assistance! This is such a great thing for me to see and hear! Team work DOES make the dream work. Thank you, teachers, for continuing to show the community the great work you do week to week with our kids...
- At the high school CPT , we discussed the impact of a potential schedule change, and ways to be proactive about offerings and serving students in a 6 period schedule versus the current 5 periods. We are t hinking about ways to grow our programs and what courses we would offer in addition to what we currently teach, and this could include courses like beginner band, chorus, orchestra, and other feeder courses.. Stay tuned!
- We also worked on the GDrive shared spreadsheet for students in 8th grade to be recommended for art foundation, band, orchestra, chorus and potentially even theater (Kuss- Toby will add). We are trying to use a process for communication between schools where scheduling can be smooth, and ensure that students who have the desire to continue their education in the arts at Durfee are placed in the right classes for the 2017/18 SY. Middle school teachers, please make sure you are having conversations with students and then adding those to the list that wish to pursue the arts in each of these classes.
Shout Out Lesson Plan:
Check this plan out! Thank you, Kerin McGillicudy for sharing this!
VISUAL ARTS LESSON PLAN
Grade Level: 3rd and 4th Grade
Duration: 1 week, 2-3 classes, 45 minutes per class
Author: Kerin McGillicuddy
Date: March 2017
Lesson: Sailboat Reflection
Specific Lesson Objectives: [the students will...]
I Can Statements:
Students will learn and demonstrate how to create a Claude Monet inspired sailboat reflection.
Motivation: [our lesson initiating activity here]
Procedure:[core activity here...the teacher will]
*I would like to continue to share lessons with you, so please, if you do not currently send yours to me weekly, please do!
Shout Out CENTRAL:
- Gary and Jane Bigelow have received wonderful news from the Massachusetts Educational Theater Guild! I will paste it here... "It is my great honor to inform you that the Board of Trustees of the METG have selected both of you to join the next round of inductees into the METG Hall of Fame. This honor is given to you both in recognition of your distinguished service on behalf of the METG and for your inspiring commitment to the Arts in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Congratulations on this outstanding achievement. To celebrate your achievement please join us at the First annual METG "Evening with the Stars" at Regis College. In addition to honoring your work, we will honor the outstanding excellence of student work across the commonwealth. Dennis P Canty Chairman of the Board METG" WOOOOO HOOOOO!!
- Congrats also go out to the 350+ students who participated in the 2017 Senior SEMSBA Festival, hosted at and by BMC Durfee! It was an awe inspiring event. I would like to thank Mr. Matt MacMullen for taking the lead in planning and organization, Gary Bigelow for all of his mastery of technical, stage lighting and sound, Erin Erban (in all of her organizational and fun meme sign making) and Lara Beth Terry for her help! Thanks also go out to the FRPS Itinerant Band and Orchestra Directors for their work as well! It was awesome. Our students sold concessions and tees and made over $2000 to go toward their spring trip!
- The Fall River Herald News was present for the SEMSBA event- check it out! SEMSBA Photo Gallery and http://www.heraldnews.com/photogallery/WL/20170325/PHOTOGALLERY/325009994/PH/1?start=2
- Monday- CPT Kuss, Visioning Meeting- Durfee
- Tuesday- CPT Morton, CPT HLCS, All City Orchestra Rehearsal 6PM
- Wednesday- All City Orchestra Rehearsal 3:30
- Thursday- Talbot CPT, All City Band Rehearsal 4:00
- Friday- Doran CPT, Itinerant CPT- Band and Orchestra Directors, please plan to use this week's CPT for prep work for All City- program needs to be emailed to me for printing. Next week, please assist in striking set up during CPT.
And Even Further Ahead...
- All City Band Concert- Tuesday April 4th at Durfee- 6:30 PM
- All City Orchestra Concert- Thursday, April 6th at Durfee
- End of Term 3- Friday April 7th
- April Vacation- Friday April 14th to Sunday, April 23rd
- FRPS K-12 Arts EXPO- Thursday, April 27th, 5-7PM at Durfee
- Durfee Concert- Thursday, May 11th
- Durfee Music Student Trip- Friday, May 12th
- Link Up Program Field Trip for 5th Graders- Wednesday, May 24th at the VETS in Providence!
Thank you, EVERYONE!