This week, I am inspired by energy. The energy I see and feel in the work you are leading is contagious and positive. Look at OUR KIDS as they problem solve, create and design, sing, play and perform! These pictures capture the essence of creativity. Today, I also had the opportunity to witness the DHS Band Flash Mob in the cafeteria to get kids pumped for tonight's GAME!!!! Awesome stuff!
Collaboration and Growth:
This week, we...
- Collaborated in middle and high school CPT's to draft goals that are meaningful to our craft and to our students' growth.
- Discussed and shared possible ways to measure and assess growth, through rubric making and cross content collaboration.
- (K-5 Music) met with Amelia Nixon from the RI Phil on Thursday to begin their new work with the 5th grade through the Orchestra ROCKS program!
- (K-5 Art and 6-8 Art/Music) met to begin the important work of goal setting as a team toward a collaborative grade level focus.
Planning Ahead: The Release Time Day! Durfee students will have short periods and be dismissed with no lunch served at 11AM. We will begin PD at Noon as a whole school in the auditorium. We will also have time to continue to work on SL and PP goals. Elementary and Middle schools will be dismissed after lunch- please see your building schedules for details! I would like to advocate to have K-8 art and music teachers here at Durfee after dismissal to also continue working on SL and PP goals as well as mapping the curriculum. Please discuss with your building principals before Thursday!
- Thursday, October 6th is the first of 4 release time days this year. I would like to have K-8 teachers across the district meet in common grade level/content groups to continue and complete this work. Teachers, please touch base with your building leaders to ask if you are able to collaborate on that day. We will meet here at Durfee (in art and music rooms) after your dismissal (allow travel time) and work on both the goal setting and begin the mapping work if time allows. I know that schools are released at different times, so as you arrive, filter into the working groups! Art can meet in rooms 82 and 84, and music in Mr. Bigelow's lab.
Continued from last week- In terms of what you would like to focus and reflect on while self assessing and goal setting, consider reviewing your last formative/summative evaluation, and looking at the commendations and recommendations... What are those things that you consider an area to focus on? As I looked through the feedback and needs from last year, I am noticing a trend for a potential focus on the following areas in professional development:
- II A. Instruction Indicator 1. Quality of Effort and Work 2. Student Engagement 3. Meeting Diverse Needs
- III C. Communication Indicator 1. Two-Way Communication 2. Culturally Proficient Communication
Also, here is a document to help with drafting the wording of the goals: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KRQ9I5qK2RYHlJfx5JAq-S5mfa85Qq5TwjNtMCGGdOs/edit
On the Calendar:
- Monday: CPT Kuss 7:30
- Tuesday: CPT Morton 7:50, Band Aids Meeting- 6PM
- Wednesday: CPT Durfee 10:30
- Thursday: Release Time Day- K-8 Meeting at Durfee (with OK from Principals), Durfee will have building based PD and then time to work on goals
- Friday: CPT Doran 8:00, CPT Band/Orch 12:30
- Planning Ahead: Columbus Day- No School Monday, October 10th.
Arts Around Us:
- The Narrows: Get your Michael Troy Tribute Concert Tickets!!! Support the Durfee Music Program! http://narrowscenter.ticketfly.com/event/1307849-michael-troy-memorial-music-fall-river/
- New Bedford Art Museum: Take a look at the Classes for Adults! Wow! http://newbedfordart.org/adult-classes/
- PPAC: Presents Wicked! Get there- closes 10/8! https://www.ppacri.org/
- Zeiterion: Check out the Creative Classroom opportunities at the Z! http://zeiterion.org/classes/
Have a wonderful weekend, and Go Pats!