Clientmoji

2022.. I am learning that meaningful change can be a cool thing.  I have always done the Blog for Fridays (this is a tradition for me since 2012 when I was a School Redesign Coach at Talbot, if you can believe that..), but I feel like it might be better on the receiving end to get it on a Tuesday- here's why.  

  • In lieu of a wrap up at the END of the WEEK, this can be a memo that gets you thinking about the week ahead.
  • Not on a Monday- I feel like we get a slew of emails on Monday that are all of those things that need to be attended to ASAP.  If I sent it on Monday, it might get lost in the shuffle, and you all are some busy people!
  • I'm hoping that the Blog will have some new life breathed into it- more like an arts motivator, info station, celebrating the work you all do.  I feel like on Friday, we are all pretty fatigued in terms of memos/info and all that jazz.
  • Now, to think of a catchy title LOL... So, from now on, it's not the Weekly Wrap Up on Fridays, but the Tuesday Artists Blog.  
So, here goes!

Tuesday Arts Blog- Entry 1: Livin' on a Prayer

Yes, Bon Jovi coined it- we are juuuust about half way there.  Now, I don't want to be the cause of you getting this stuck in your heads, but just think about it.. "We've got each other and that's a lot" sure rings true for me, anyways.  This is a tough job right now, but together we can do this.  Focus on the good- the routines you took the time to set- keep to those.  Maybe even do a refresher with kids if you feel they need it?  Awesome tasks planned, agendas set and posted, kids in classes (I know attendance is scary right now), and we are good to go.  I know it's cold outside, I know it's dark at 4:30, but I also know that we are a team of 48 super skilled and talented educators.  We've got each other, and that's a LOT.  So please, reach out to me if you are in need, of anything- supplies, support, a hand.  


So, what's happening in the Arts Department?
Planning:
  • As we head into January, we have the end of term 2/semester 1 coming up on Friday the 21st.  This means many of you will be getting kids ready to exit- with projects, assessments, grading, etc.  Best of luck, and please reach out if you need any help.
  • Kerin and Brian will be SWAPPING schools at this point, as Kerin heads over to Tansey, and Brian heads over to Watson- we wish you the best!  Happy first day of school!  :)
  • The flyer was shared for the City Wide Contest, and this was discussed at the K-8 Monthly Department Meetings yesterday.  I will reshare the info here- and would love to see kids engaged in this work and submitting!  Please reach out to me, Abby or Rochelle if you have any questions!
  • The Office of Mayor Paul Coogan is pleased to announce the second annual MLK Day Art & Essay Contest. This year's theme is "Words with Martin" and Fall River students (K-12) are asked to submit art, an essay or a audio recording (like a podcast, spoken word or song) answering the question "What would you talk about if you had the chance to meet Martin Luther King Jr?". Top three winners in elementary, middle and high school categories will win Amazon gift cards and be recognized at a ceremony at City Hall. Submitted artwork will also be featured during Bristol Community College's Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast. For more details, visit the Facebook page at https://fb.me/e/10b5TP9oT.
  • Are you planning a really cool Black History Bulletin Board or body of work with your kids?  Please share by sending me a pic of the work, and I will post it in the Blog!  
  • From Rochelle:
    • Black History Month Bulletin Board Contest:
    We thought we would base the bulletin boards on the work of Black artists. 
    MLK - From Abby LINK
    MLK - From Ro LINK

Supplies, supplies!
  • I sent over the Supply orders to art teachers- you should see these in the mail today-ish.  Please, if you could fill these in and send them back sometime between now and next week so I can send them over to Russ- that way he can get what you need over to you.  
  • K-8 Art teachers, please chat with your music colleagues to see if they need anything and if they do, add it to the list.
  • Many of you have reached out with requests for things to make your classrooms more well equipped, and I love that.  Please, if there is something you need, and it's not on the "FRPS Supply List" email me.  I will advocate to get what you need.
  • ARTS EXPO Supplies- I have ordered the labels for student work- I will send these out in February for teachers to use.  At that time, if you are going to print your own, let me know and I will send you the pack of Avery labels. (I know Steph and others have done this in the past!)
(A Look into the) Crystal Ball:
  • On the road ahead, I see... a book study/club opportunity!  I have purchased a dozen books- "Make Me- Understanding and Engaging Student Resistance in School".  If you are interested in participating, can you shoot me an email so I can get a copy over to you?  I think we will do a virtual book club monthly meet up to chat about it while sipping on our beverage of choice.  
  • The K-8 District PD Day is Friday February 4th.  We will have some time to continue to work in our Cohorts in order to achieve our goals for this school year.  I believe the district is planning the mornings to be held in your school buildings and the afternoon in departmental PDs- so 12-3 will be our window of time to work.  Mapping, literacy- it's all in the works for this day!
Hey, Check this OUT (Lesson Plan Shout Outs):
  • Check out Jenne Mattei's Lesson Platform.. so good- click and enjoy! LINK
  • Check out Gael Berberick's Lesson Plan for the week- I Can statements, vocab, tasks, outcomes.. it's all there! LINK
  • Check out Heather Pereira's Lesson Plan for the week- from squishies for her Community Based kids to AP Art, she's got it all down!  LINK

Have a solid, artful week,
Jackie

Comments