Friday, June 2nd, 2023- Welcome to JUNE!










 This week in the BLOG!

  • Art and Chorus visit North End Senior Center
  • Small FRY Orchestra and Band Concerts
  • Scheduling for Next Year
  • Supplies for Next Year
  • PD Days June 15/16
  • Evals

Art and Chorus visit North End Senior Center:
Lara Beth Terry and Heather Pereira led a small group of students on Wednesday the 31st at the North End Senior Center as Chorus sang for them, and art made paintings with them.  I cannot tell you how happy this makes my heart.  The couple in the picture above have been married for 58 years and when they heard Ms. Terry's students sing "I can't help falling in love with you" the husband closed his eyes and said it was just like he was back on the dance floor with his wife.. That IS the magic of music.  So proud that we can teach that skill to our kids.  The art task was really cool- they rotated flowers, drawing them on their watercolor paper, and then made a painting from their drawings.  Pure joy.  For me, how we treat our elderly is a key detail in who we are as humans, so I want to make a point of embracing them in what we do, in any way we can.  

Small FRY Orchestra and Band Concerts:
On Wednesday, we held the Small FRY Orchestra concert at Durfee, with 4th and 5th graders.  On Thursday, we had the Small FRY band perform at Kuss.  So great to see our littles getting their first big concert in.  It's also a chance to educate our parents a little on how the instrumental program works.  Our string and band teachers take turns at the podium leading the large group, and they do a great job at not only keeping them in time, but also reminding them to play with emotion.. the look of "Come on, I know you can do this!!" is on each teacher's face (I can see that from backstage LOL) ad that's really what keeps them from being scared!  Congrats to you all- Nicole, Jodie, Caroline, Itsva, Jay, Julia, Matt and Donna.. THE CONCERTS ARE OVER!

Scheduling for Next Year:
Middle School- Drew Woodward has been working with PE and Art/Music leads to see if he can schedule impacts 4 times per week for a semester.  If he can make it work, that would mean you would see your kids for this amount of time.  Band, Chorus and Orchestra would be included in this as well.  I will keep you posted.  
High School- At PLC Thursday, I handed out drafts of the schedule for next year.  Please see me if you missed the meeting.

Supplies for Next Year:
Art/Music: I will send you a paper version of the Supply List.  Can you please do the following:
1. Check and organize your current inventory- DO NOT ORDER MORE STUFF IF YOU HAVE STUFF to use first.  I will always advocate for my team, but I have been in supply closets where I have seen unopened boxes of supplies from last year.  Let's make sure we are only ordering what we need- some of these supplies expire- and YES, I have thrown out cases of supplies due to over ordering.
2. Fill in the Supply Order sheet for what you need for SEMESTER 1.
3. Return it to me via interoffice mail by JUNE 9th.
4. I will also give you an allotment of "other supply funds" to use for special supplies.  This will be in an email, and the process will be included in the email for submission of requests.

PD Days June 15/16:
The last two days of school are early release days for kids. We have "PD" time during those days.  As I wrote in the last blog, I have a plan for the 15th- time is still TBD.  In addition, Chelsea Burnham will be doing some Choral work at Talbot.  I will let you know the day and time for that as well.  
  • K-8 Art/Music- Using Tech and Google Tools for SLG/Assessment
  • K-12 Band/Orchestra/Chorus- planning for events/adjudication/assessment
  • 9-12 Fine/Perf Arts- Revision of Syllabus to reflect DWI
Evals:
I am working my way through!  7 done, 13 left!  Anyhoo, please don't forget to share your Collection of Evidence form with me.  Thank you!

Have a great weekend,
Jackie

Comments